Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A New Chapter Is Here!

1st day
School is back in session!! My goodness gracious, where did the summer go??
I have to say that I have never been the kind of mom who dreaded her kids being out for summer (well, there was that one summer after Kindergarten when I realized that it was going to be a full-time job keeping my son as busy and stimulated as his super special Kindergarten teacher. That was a doozy!….just keepin’ it real, folks.)  But this summer has to be one of my all-time favorites. Not because of any reason other than I realized around May that there would not likely be too many more summers when I would have both of my children still in my “nest” {sniff, sniff} and I wanted to soak it up!  Yesterday, that super special summer came to a screeching halt!
Zach 9th Grade

My son started HIGH SCHOOl……..did you hear me?……high school!!! Wasn’t it just yesterday that I was giving him the pep talk to not cry when he went into his Preschool class for the first time? (Now I AM the one who needs the pep talk……..huh, hum)


 AJ 7th Grade

And, as if that wasn’t enough to make you stop and walk down memory lane, my daughter started Junior High!!! That’s 2 big changes in one day, sweet friends.


Yesterday morning, I was great! I was excited for their new adventures and helping them walk through their day mentally so as not to forget anything. I wasn’t emotional at all….just excited for them. …….
Until……..
……my son got home in the afternoon and began to tell me all about his first day in High School. Tears began to gather behind my eyes. You know the feeling, when you don’t want to cry and you pray that no one asks you if you’re okay because you’ll be doing the ugly cry in no time? Well, that was me! 
Then, when my daughter came home and was excited about her first day in Junior High, Ummm…… Now, I was thrilled that they both had amazing days. They found and opened their lockers, made it to classes on time, had friends to sit with at lunch (that was a HUGE prayer request of mine and God answered in a big way. Thank you LORD!) It was just the reality that my kids are growing up and I can’t do anything to slow it down or even stop it. 
I don’t want to stop it because each chapter is new and exciting and God blesses them with lots of wonderful (sometimes challenging) experiences. It’s the way life should be. You see, when my husband and I were praying years and years ago that God would bless us with children, God spoke to my heart (not audibly, but put this thought in my head & heart) that
our children need to be conceived in the
right month


to be born at the right time
 

to go to school in the right year
 

to cross paths with those people HE has
planned 
for them to meet and impact.
That was such an amazing experience and one that I reflect on the first day of school every single year.
My heart if full of wonder and excitement
for this school year.
I’m thankful that both of my kids really strive to walk with Jesus every day. They’re not perfect, by any means. Each day there is a choice to walk with Him and be Jesus with skin on. Sometimes they make it and sometimes they don’t.  I try to remind them each day to watch for HIS hand.  I pray that God will protect them physically, spiritually, & emotionally this year and give them the best school year ever!  Excited to see how it all plays out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Please let me hear from you.